Hi dear cousins!
Just in case you haven’t heard, there is a bit of a change to the Saturday schedule to accommodate a special members’ meeting
to discuss and update TFA bylaws and to meet candidates who are willing to volunteer for leadership positions.
At the very end of the schedule I’ve included a few driving times
for those of you who might consider extending your Thayer trek to include some of the sites Thayer forefathers settled.
Join us July 1-4, 2016 at West Point!
Come greet, meet, and mingle with our Thayer relatives from across this great country, gathered where General Sylvanus Thayer (of our Thayer hometown of Braintree, MA) is considered “the Father of West Point”.
Expand your family tree, get to know new cousins, and learn a little about Thayer movers and shakers, such as two 19th century artists, Abbott Handerson Thayer and Sanford Thayer, who have most certainly passed on their talented genes to the rest of us!
And, of course, share our love of our Thayer-itage.*
It is the 25th Anniversary of the TFA, the 90th Anniversary of the Thayer Hotel, and the 240th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence! So much to celebrate!
It is important to register as soon as possible. If you are unable to get a room at the Thayer Hotel (845.446.4731) contact email@example.com for information on rooms at the Holiday Inn nearby. There are additional rooms on hold there.
Dress to stay cool! It is summer and can get very warm! Don’t forget your hats, visors, umbrella, sunglasses and sun screen. Everything planned requires only comfortable casual dress and good walking shoes!
More information is always available at thayerfamilies.com, on Facebook under Thayer Families Historian (Patricia Muno) and Thayer Families (Verne Thayer), or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, July 1, check in at the Thayer Hotel
If you are staying at another hotel in the area, just join us later at the Thayer Hotel after you check in there!
–We ask each family to please consider bringing something homemade, donated, or solicited to add to our gift bags!
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL PERSONS, 16 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER, ENTERING WEST POINT ARE REQUIRED TO BRING GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID (DRIVERS LICENSE, PASSPORT, US HIGH SCHOOL ID). Residents of Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, and Washington need an enhanced driver’s license or a passport. No photocopies are accepted.
4:00 p.m. Meeting of the TFA Board (Eisenhower Room)
• Dinner (on your own) is available at the hotel (Friday seafood buffet $36.95 plus tax and service), as well as at a number of restaurants at the bottom of the hill in Highland Falls (ranging from McDonald’s to Mexican to Italian to American). All are just a very short walk from the Hotel. (http://highlandfallsny.org/)
–General Patton’s Tavern is also in the hotel, is family friendly, and offers typical bar food, such as burgers and wings, at customary prices.
5:30 p.m. Registration Opens (Grant Ballroom**)
• Registration begins with cousins Janice Rowland and Judy Thayer at the door of the Ballroom.
–Bring any items that you may have for our gift bags, made or solicited or found in your junk drawer. (remember: One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!)
• Check in, get your nametag, T-shirt, and reunion schedule details.
–Are you a possible vendor? Let us know in advance to arrange your set-up!
–Join our greeters Tammy and Edna Thayer (authors extraordinaire!) and mingle with your cousins!
–Hobnob with our Thayer Families Historian Patricia Muno and her husband Don, as well as with our dedicated genealogist Jerry Thayer!
6-9:30 p.m. Greet-Meet-and-Mingle and
• Welcome: Will Thayer, TFA President
• Tell us about YOUR neck of the woods. (Work with cousin Lloyd Thayer to trace on the large map YOUR family’s migration from Braintree to where YOU live NOW!)
• Show-and-Share-the Love: Show and tell us what YOU are doing to preserve our Thayer history! Bring your history DVDs, scrapbooks, displays, artifacts, or perhaps a clever new way to organize your research.
• Heartfelt Tales: In this round-table setting, share some of your interesting experiences while researching family history!
— Bob Thayer: discovering Sanford and Bezaleel
— YOUR story
— Patricia Muno’s favorites
–Tammy Thayer: the importance of preserving our Thayer history AND personal stories about her award-winning book A Country Doctor Goes to War, which is about her grandfather Dr. E. A. Thayer
— Jerry Thayer: 240 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence: Thayers in the American Revolution (where they enlisted and a bit about them)
— Lloyd Thayer: DNA testing
–Sharing the Thayer Dream: Don and Patricia Muno –Researching and Publishing: Thayer Family Genealogy and Stories with Don and Patricia Muno
9:30 p.m. Cousin Fest at the Zulu Rooftop Lounge or
hit your refresh button and we’ll see you in the morning!
* Special thanks to Don and Patricia Muno, who coined the word Thayer-itage for the Salt Lake City reunion of 2008!
** The Grant Ballroom is the Thayer Hotel’s original ballroom and captures the essence and ambiance originally created for the 1928 cadets.
Saturday, July 2 West Point Day
• Each guest gets free coffee in the room as well as a cup at the Bistro by giving your name and room number. The Bistro also has other beverages, fruits and pastries for sale.
• Breakfast (on your own) Suggested: Park Restaurant, 451 Main Street, Highland Falls, NY 10928, tel: 845.446.8709 (across the street from the West Point Museum)
• Meet in the Thayer Lobby at 8:45 a.m.
9-12 a.m. Guided Bus and Museum Tour with West Point Tours
(casual attire) $22 per person includes bus and museum
guides, driver tip, and tips for guides) Our guide Mary is
a treasure-trove of information!
• Wear your TFA Reunion T-shirts today and meet in the lobby at 8:45 a.m.
• Departure from the Hotel is at 9 a.m. sharp
• Bring along any snacks or beverages you might like on the bus this morning.
• included: group photo stops, Cullum Hall (the refurbished memorial hall for those killed in action), West Point customary stops, as well as the West Point Cemetery (and the grave of Sylvanus Thayer), the Cadet Chapel, and much more!
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Guided Tour of the West Point Museum
• followed by a leisurely 5-minute walk back to the Thayer Hotel for our Grand Luncheon. Anyone who needs a ride can let Marilyn or Bob Thayer know in advance to arrange transportation.
2:00 – 3:30 p.m. Grand Luncheon (MacArthur Dining Rm.)
Blessing of the Food: Will Thayer
(deserts follow in the Eisenhower Room)
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Warm-Up with Edna Thayer followed by
• Workshops (in the Eisenhower Room)
• Abbott Handerson Thayer, Artist – A multi-media presentation by Lloyd Thayer
4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Special Meeting of the Membership
- Introduction and discussion of Amendments to our TFA Bylaws
- Meet Thayer volunteers seeking Board leadership positions (voting at the Business Meeting to follow)
5:45 p.m. Thayer Families Association Business Meeting All adults and friends should attend, but only TFA members can vote on business items.
After the business meeting options:
1. Take a walk through the West Point grounds to Trophy Point for the 8 p.m. West Point Band Concert, followed by fireworks. (In case of rain, festivities will be held on July 3, which is also NYC Day.)
2. Drive separately to Newburgh for the Hudson River Cruise and fireworks. (If this interests you, call TODAY!!!) The Fireworks Cruise departs at 8:00 p.m. from Blue Pointe Landing, about 30 minutes from West Point. Plan to be aboard at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $37.00 for adults and $28.00 for children 11 and under. (If West Pint postpones the fireworks, the Cruise will be rescheduled to Sunday, July 3.) Normally tickets are purchased through Zerve on line at www.prideofthehudson.com or by phone 888-442-5211. However, for our group in order to avoid paying the ticket service charge we can reserve directly with Hudson River Adventures and send a check for payment. If anyone wants to purchase directly with Hudson River Adventures it would be best for them to email them at email@example.com.
3. Meet at the Zulu to watch the fireworks from the outdoor patio.
4. Use the fitness room, or rest up for tomorrow’s big day in NYC!
* In case of rain, we will continue our mingling in the hotel.
Sunday, July 3 New York City Day (casual attire)
Breakfast (on your own)
• Guided Bus Tour with West Point Tours Bus Company
Discover “The City That Never Sleeps” — a historical and cultural center of the world! We’ll take a sightseeing tour to experience some of NYC’s top attractions, including a walk in Central Park, some free time in Manhattan to be awed by the magic of Times Square, the 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Little Italy, Chinatown, Harlem, Lincoln Center, Rockefeller Center, and lots more!
— Depart 8 a.m. on Sunday, July 3, from the Thayer Hotel and Tour NYC
— Depart 8 p.m. on Sunday from NYC to return to the Thayer Hotel, about 10 p.m.
— Our guide Martha Lanzillotti (contact: 212.861.6343) will spend 6 or more hours with us, showing us the highlights of the Big Apple. Let us know if there is something special you would like to do or see and we’ll ask her to include it.
Not interested in New York City? C.Y.O.P! (Choose Your Own Plans)
OTHER OPTIONS FOR SUNDAY: The Hudson Valley is chock full of wonderful sights and it is an easy drive for those Thayers who opt out of the NYC Day Trip. Try
• Our suggestion: go to Hyde Park where you’ll find:
-FDR Presidential Library and Museum
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt Home
-Val-Kill Cottage Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site
-Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site
-Lunch at the Culinary Institute of America in one of 5 award winning restaurants. After savoring this fine dining experience, tour the institution and view the beautiful grounds. (Reserve online or call way in advance!)
• Storm King Art Center
• Walkway Over the Hudson (Poughkeepsie)
• Boscobel House & Gardens (Garrison)
• Washington’s Headquarters Site (Newburgh)
• Call ahead to make reservations for the tour times you would like. Tours book quickly even in the off season!
• ** If you have a national parks pass, yay! Use it in Hyde Park!
Monday, July 4 Farewell Day
or Celebrate the 4th!
8:00 a.m. – ? Family Farewell Breakfast — (on your own) meet at the Park Restaurant, 451 Main Street, Highland Falls, NY 10928, tel: 845.446.8709 (across the street from the West Point Museum). Say good-bye for now, but keep in touch!
3p.m. Highland Falls 4th of July Parade
• featuring the West Point Band
If you are staying on, there are many more ideas: Lunch at Benny Havens? Outlet mall shopping? Washington’s headquarters in Newburgh (about 30 minutes away)? Trekking Bear Mountain. Visiting the hometowns of our ancestors in New England! (Braintree is less than 4 hours away! Providence (and don’t forget Cumberland) is a beautiful 3-hour-and 15-minute drive along the Long Island Sound. If your relatives were in the Richmond/Keene, NH area, you can travel there in less than 4 hours, too. New England is chock full of family heritage sites!)